Senior Spotlight: Hunter Cuthrell

Senior Spotlight: Hunter Cuthrell

Lindsey Ross, Photographer

This week’s senior spotlight highlights one of RMA’s finest students, Hunter Cuthrell. Known for her fabulous style, presence on the volleyball court, and academic excellence, Hunter is truly a senior super star.

Since her arrival in ninth grade, Hunter has been extremely active in the Rocky Mount Academy community. Throughout high school, she has been an active member of the varsity volleyball team and served as team captain in eleventh grade. Hunter has also participated in the RMA-based STARS program. Through this program, Hunter has tutored kindergartners with math, reading, and crafts. During the summer, Hunter has enjoyed working at the RMA Summer Camps and  After School Enrichment programs during the school year. In the Rocky Mount community, Hunter has made a difference through her involvement in the Debuette Club and Gatekeepers Work Camp each year.

In recent news, Hunter has just broken her previous record of fifteen minutes of constant hula-hooping with a whopping forty minute time. When asked about conquering this major feat, Hunter responded, “I’ve always been passionate about hula-hooping because it is a great stress reliever. Forty minutes was quite a long time, but I knew I could achieve my goal.” Hunter is also an avid fan of the basketball shooting game “Knockout.” In ninth grade, Hunter was the star of the JV basketball team, playing a total of two minutes during her season.

Academically, Hunter has been involved in a variety of challenging AP and Honors courses. While balancing these courses with a busy schedule, Hunter has continued to be a member of the National Honor Society and has received High Honors awards throughout her high school career. During her eleventh grade year, Hunter was chosen by RMA faculty to attend Tar Heel Girls State, a week-long program that emphasizes leadership skills and educates girls about government processes on both state and national levels. Among all of these accomplishments, Hunter’s most impressive achievement is receiving the highest scholarship offering out of all members of the senior class. This offering from Meredith College is valued at $20,000 each year.

To learn more about Hunter and her plans for next year, read the short interview below:

Q1:  What colleges have you applied to or plan applying to? Do you have any schools that you are more inclined to choose?

N.C. State, Carolina, Wilmington, East Carolina, and Meredith – State because of the College of Textiles and the internships and job opportunities it presents

Q2: What do you look forward to this year and/or when you go to college next year?

This year I looked forward to spending my time with my family and friends while we’re all still together. Next year I look forward to the new people I will meet and the opportunities college presents me with.

Because of her great sense of humor and strong leadership skills, Hunter will be missed next year and has been an asset to Class of 2015 and the RMA community as a whole.