Senior Spotlight: Garrett Walker

Senior Spotlight: Garrett Walker

Lindsey Ross, Photographer

This week’s Senior Spotlight features Garrett Walker, an RMA student since ninth grade. As one of the many excellent members of the Class of 2015, Garrett’s various interests separate him from the rest of his classmates.

Since his arrival, Garrett has excelled in a series of diversified activities including the Fellowship of Christian Athletes Club, the Science Olympiad Program, and Stock Market Club. Like other RMA students, Garrett is able to pursue interests of his choice through extracurriculars that allow students to learn more about certain topics and develop passions that potentially lead to future college majors. Garrett’s personal favorite RMA extracurricular activity involves his tech internship with Mr. Huffman. Garrett states, “My technology internship is a favorite class of mine because it allows me to find out how the machines we use every day work. It also teaches me many things that I will be able to use in classes when I go to college.”

In his free time, Garrett is most likely volunteering, hiking, reading, or swimming. Throughout high school, Garrett has participated in Gatekeepers, a church-driven work camp in Rocky Mount that improves homes of those who are financially challenged in the community. Through this program, Garrett has completed over 80 community service hours. On top of this, Garrett also visits the Bassett Center monthly with his church and has created a refuge similar to My Sister’s House while on a mission trip in Asheville, N.C.

Despite his thorough involvement in extracurricular and volunteer work, Garrett has maintained a high GPA and collected an abundance of academic awards throughout his high school career. Over the past four years, Garrett has received Academic Excellence awards in Honors Biology, Honors Spanish II, and Honors Public Speaking.  Because of Garrett’s wide-array of interests that show each aspect of his character, he stands out amongst the crowd and exemplifies the concept of a well-rounded student.