Spirit Week Starter Packs

Claire Stanovich, Photographer

This week the Media Office decided to get everyone ready for Spirit Week which begins today and will continue until Friday, December 19th. In order to best showcase each day, we chose to create starter packs. For those of you that do not know, a starter pack is an image that contains four pictures showcasing certain objects and characteristics that make up a type of person or, in this case, a particular spirit day.

The Red, White, and Blue Day Starter Pack:

This starter pack is for the all-american person. RMA Student Government chose this theme because “America Day” has always been a hit in past years and red, white, and blue just happen to also be our school colors, which makes it great to show support on Homecoming! Make sure to dress in all things USA including flag themed apparel, denim, or even your RMA homecoming t-shirt! However, the best part of this starter pack is the bottom two pictures because there is nothing that showcases this day more than Britney Spears and Justin Timberlake’s all jean matching outfit to the 2001 American Music awards. And of course, what would America be without the good ole’ Bruce Springsteen?

The Pajama Day Starter Pack:

Pajama day, a fan favorite at RMA, is one of the best days of the week as students get to come dressed in their favorite pajamas. Most students simply just “roll out of bed” and come to school on this day.  However, there are some students that plan to wear certain fun pajamas like onesies that they may not normally sleep in. It is such a fun day for students and many memories are made. Oh, and don’t forget to bring along your bedroom slippers and favorite stuffed animal. The day would not be complete without them!

The Twin/ Dynamic Duo Day Starter Pack:

This day has to be my all time favorite of all the spirit days! It is a way for students to show off their creative side as they plan along with a friend or group to either dress alike or simply come to school as a “dynamic duo”. You will never forget all of the original outfit ideas you will see! Just grab the outift of a famous couple, pair of friends, or  set of siblings and you are all set for the day. Don’t want to be a dynamic duo? That’s okay, just pick someone to “twin” with and don’t forget matching sweatshirts like the picture above!

The Decade Day Starter Pack

As Decade Day leaves so many options for all sorts of students we decided to include a starter pack for the 3 decades that students seem to dress up for the most.

1. The ‘60s Starter Pack: Most well-known for possessing a very different style than the decade before, if you take ideas from this starter pack you’ll be good to go! Girls cannot go for the 60s look without channeling some form of Jackie Kennedy’s classic and timeless style. Likewise, the Beatles definitely pioneered the men’s fashion industry for the 1960s as they began to take the world by storm. Towards the end of the decade began the hippie and free love movement which included the unforgettable 3 day music festival, Woodstock.
  2. The ‘70s Starter Pack: If you’re not rocking some form of bell bottom pants, psychedelic headband, colorful tunic, then you’re not focusing on your inner hippie. However, go-go boots, vibrant patterned dresses, and mini-skirts also became very popular for women in the 1970s. Following style icons such as famous stars like Farrah Fawcett, Janis Joplin, Mick Jagger, and Marvin Gaye will ensure success for you in dressing for the 1970s. Girls don’t forget to rock that infamous middle part like we all know you can!
  3. The ‘80s Starter Pack: This era was a new age in fashion and culture. Wild patterns such as animal prints, funky colors, and vibrant work-out outfits came to be the best known style for the ‘80s. Big hair dominated women in this decade. It was also a new time for rock music as bands like Poison, Bon Jovi, and Def Leppard became popularized, as did their flair for rock band clothing. This included leather jackets and pants, earrings, and cut up t-shirts. We also must not forget the notorious mullet as every ‘80s band had at least one member rocking this stylish new do. Sport any of these combinations of clothes, and you’ll be sure to rock out on Decade Day!

The Senior Citizen Day Starter Pack:

A new addition to the RMA spirit day themes, Senior Citizen Day is a fun way change up the week and I have heard of a lot of students already beginning to plan what to wear for this day. Make sure to look your best, whether you’re planning on coming as a replica of your own grandparent or another fun and lighthearted senior citizen. Suspenders for boys and nightgowns for girls are always a great option. Also, don’t forget to accessorize with a walker or some thick, wide glasses. If you don’t own any clothes that will make you look like a senior citizen, don’t fret I’m sure you have a grandparent or grand friend that would LOVE to help you look your best for Spirit Week!

The Tacky Christmas Starter Pack:

Tacky Christmas Day is the most well-known Spirit Day that RMA offers. It is a time for students to come to school and show off their most festive holiday attire.  Also, how great is it that we get to participate in this day the same day as the beloved All School Sing Along?! Dressing up for this day is only half the fun. It is also great to see how everyone’s ideas for costumes come together. Above are just some helpful hints of items that would look fabulous to wear on this fun-filled last school day of 2014!

Don’t forget to post pictures to Instagram or Twitter and hashtag #rmagoingforgold.