The student news site of Rocky Mount Academy in Rocky Mount, North Carolina.

Eagle Examiner

Eagle Examiner

Eagle Examiner

Which ACC team will make it the furthest in the tournament?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Senior Spotlight: Greyson Thorne

This week’s Senior Spotlight is on a member of the class of 2024 who has been with us since Kindergarten. Her kind nature, outgoing personality, and sense of humor match her description of herself as genuine, personable, and caring. Because she has been at RMA so long, she has built lasting relationships with many of us and is one of the first to greet a new student. Fellow senior Avery Cumpata says she “always brings excitement to anything we do.” Her love for all things around her and kindness toward others draw people to her wherever she goes. This week’s Senior Spotlight is on Greyson Thorne, someone whose light shines on the class of 2024 and everyone she meets.

Greyson’s academics have always shown her determination to succeed in school, this year being no different. She continues to push herself in class, taking Honors Pre-Calculus, Honors Ecology, Advanced English 12, AP Environmental Science, and AP Psychology. Greyson has received many awards during her time at RMA, including A Honor Roll for her sophomore and junior years; Highest Average in Algebra II, Physical Science, and Advanced English 11; and Academic Excellence in Honors French II, Honors US History. Greyson cheered during football and basketball seasons her freshman through junior years but opted to forgo school sports this year to focus on her other extracurriculars. 

Greyson involves herself in many clubs both in and out of RMA. Here, she is a member of Key Club, the Fellowship of Christian Athletes, and Senior Beta Club, and she also helps in the Exceptional Children’s class with the Stronger Together Club. Off-campus, she is involved with the Debuette Club, which is a service-based organization for high school girls. She fills in the rest of her already busy schedule with babysitting and dance classes. Greyson danced competitively in the past but now enjoys taking elite classes with her friends. Combining these two interests, she teaches a “littles dance class” weekly to 7 and 8- year-olds at Dance Arts of Rocky Mount. Though her schedule is packed full, Greyson still makes time for her friends and family, saying her parents are her role models because they are “hardworking and compassionate, and provide guidance but also a lot of fun.”

Seeing as one of her favorite things is going to the beach, namely Wilmington (which she names as her favorite place), Greyson is excited to be attending UNCW this fall to study Communications. Describing Wilmington as “the perfect combination of the city and the beach,” UNCW is an excellent fit for her. With her friendly personality, it’s no surprise she is most excited about meeting new people at college, though we here at RMA will miss her dearly!

Get to know Greyson!

What is your favorite movie?

The Parent Trap

Describe your dream vacation/if you could live anywhere in the world, where would it be?

I want to go to Santorini, Greece, and stay by the water.

If you were trapped on a deserted island, what three things would you bring?

My mom, a friend, and a mattress.

What is your funniest story at RMA?

Mrs. Lehnes had to use a plunger to get Parker Sherrod’s lunch unclogged from a sink when we ate in homeroom during Covid.

What is one piece of advice you’d give to an incoming freshman or your younger self about high school?

Take advantage of all the opportunities you’re given and the people who are available to support you.

What will you miss about RMA?

The people who make school feel like family.