The student news site of Rocky Mount Academy in Rocky Mount, North Carolina.

Eagle Examiner

Eagle Examiner

Eagle Examiner

Which ACC team will make it the furthest in the tournament?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

RMA vs. Faith Varsity Games

Thomas Honey blocks Faith Student, Ashton Lascallette

Last Friday night, the Varsity Girls and Boys Basketball teams traveled a couple of miles down the road to face our biggest rival, Faith Christian School. Parents, students, and friends showed up wearing camo–this game’s theme–to cheer on the Eagles to victory.

Leading up to the game, the girls played a competitive schedule but, with an 8-2 record, were well prepared to face Faith. Point guard Isabella Daza said Friday afternoon, “I am excited for the rivalry game; there is always a lot of excitement and emotion, and overall [it’s] just a fun environment to play in!” The Varsity Girls tipped off at 6 pm, gave their best effort, and won by an outstanding 54-14. Taylor Carmichael and Landry Miller were the highest-scoring with 19 and 11 points.  

The boys began playing at 7:30 pm, and they gave it their all, defeating the Patriots 65 to 47. Not to discount the team’s skill, it was mostly heart that led them to victory. More than anything, the boys went into this game with fierce determination. Small forward Parker Eatmon said Friday, “I’ve been very excited all week about this game. Unfortunately, on Thursday I became sick. I’m not 100%, [but] I couldn’t miss out on the big game.”  His health did not stop him, as he scored 19 points, as did shooting guard Jordan Wright. Other notable players included juniors Hank Berry with 12 points and Thomas Honey, who led in rebounds, with 11 points. Arguably the highlight of the game was Senior Marti Mcknight’s slam dunk in the second half, a welcome contribution after he had to sit out due to receiving a technical foul in the first half. However, many students thought Parker Eatmon’s three-point shot was the game’s most exciting moment.

On Friday, February 2, 2024, RMA will play Faith on our home court. The Varsity Girls play at 6:00 pm, and the Varsity Boys play at 7:30 pm. Senior Night presentations will begin 30 minutes before the games start time. Come support our Eagles!