The student news site of Rocky Mount Academy in Rocky Mount, North Carolina.

Eagle Examiner

Eagle Examiner

Eagle Examiner

Which ACC team will make it the furthest in the tournament?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Senior Spotlight: Cooper Epps

This week’s Senior Spotlight focuses on someone who is always ready to crack a joke. He will undoubtedly liven up any class period with his outgoing personality, one that his teachers look forward to. Ms. Knox, his Honors English 12 teacher, said, “I was so excited when I saw his name on my roster for the year. I knew he’d be willing to speak up in what might be a quiet class and that he’d do it in a way that would keep us entertained while still letting us get our work done.” Having been here since first grade with his two other RMA siblings, this senior has made valuable friendships that will last him–and us–a lifetime. He has many ties at RMA, having two siblings (an older brother, Davis, and a younger sister, Caroline) as well as his mother working as our school nurse. This week’s Senior Spotlight showcases Cooper Epps, someone the Class of 2024 wouldn’t be the same without.

Cooper strives to challenge himself academically, and his core classes for this year–Pre-calculus Honors, English 12 Honors, AP Environmental Science, and AP Psychology–all prove that. Cooper also emphasizes his athletics, taking two sports-related classes this year (Weightlifting and Sports Management). Unsurprisingly, he has been very involved with Eagle athletics during his time at RMA. He has been a crucial player on the football team the past few seasons, helping to lead his team to a state championship this year. He was even #2 in the nation in average yards per punt return and #6 in total punt return yards (this included 6-, 8-, 9-, and 11-man football). He’s also been a vital member of the basketball teams over the last few years, playing as a wide receiver and defensive back. Aside from sports and school, Cooper enjoys spending time with his friends, hunting, and working on his truck. He also does quite a bit of community service in his free time.

Cooper has applied to ECU and NC State this year, looking to explore different majors and find his best fit. Cooper’s friendly and charismatic personality will help him to continue branching out in college and while he navigates choosing what we know will be a successful career!

Get to know Cooper!

What is your favorite movie?

Saving Private Ryan

What is your favorite place and why?

My favorite place is the beach with my family.

What celebrity would you want to be for two days and why?

Tom Holland so I could be Spiderman.

If you could be any teacher for the day, who would you be and why?

Mr. Tucker so I could run the school for a day.

Describe your perfect day at RMA. What would you do? What classes would you take?

On a perfect day, we would have two lunch periods.

What will you miss about RMA?

The teachers and the good lunch.

What is one lesson you’ve learned at RMA?

To be inclusive.

What is one piece of advice you’d give to an incoming freshman or your younger self about high school?

Do your homework and life will be easier.