Senior Spotlight: Jarrett Barfield

Mari Robin Tharin, Secretary

This week’s senior spotlight highlights an iconic member of the senior class: Jarrett Barfield. Although he may seem quiet at first, Jarrett is one of the funniest people you will ever meet and just simply a great guy to be around. His easygoing nature and contagious smile have made him well-liked by both students and teachers since he joined us here at RMA in 6th grade, and our Middle and Upper School years wouldn’t have been the same without him. He uses the words independent, hardworking, and trustworthy to describe himself, and I would like to add the words dependable, laidback, and humorous to that list. Jarrett’s close friend of many years, Colin Baker comments on his friendship with Jarrett: “Jarrett is a very outgoing friend who is always ready for some sort of bass fishing adventure.” I think everyone would agree with Colin that Jarrett is a great friend and is incredibly adventurous. 

Academically, Jarrett is a hardworking and diligent student, always putting his best foot forward in the classroom. This year, he is enrolled in Algebra 3, English 12, and Ecology. He especially enjoys his Algebra class with Mrs. Helms because she is a great teacher. It is evident that Jarrett is a great student as he has made it on the A-B Honor Roll. Jarrett is also taking Sports Management and Personal Finance, and he lets out his creative side in Music Performance with Mr. Leonard and Ceramics class with Mrs. Hunter where he sculpts various pieces of pottery.

If you know Jarrett, you know that the majority of his time outside of school is spent fishing. A true outdoorsman, Jarrett is the president and founder of the RMA Bass Fishing team, which has been very successful. Jarrett has won countless awards for his fishing talent, and it is very rare that Jarrett competes in a competition without placing. He also loves to ride his side-by-side in the mountains. If he is not fishing or enjoying his ATV, you can find Jarrett hard at work at B & M Roofing. Jarrett takes the job very seriously and is a great employee. 

As for future plans, Jarrett has applied to Pitt Community College and ECU and has chosen to attend Pitt in Greenville. Jarrett’s leadership, kindness, and sense of humor will take him very far in life no matter which career path he chooses to pursue. RMA will not be the same without Jarrett, but we can’t wait to watch him thrive in the future!

Get to Know Jarrett!

Describe your dream vacation. Week of fishing at Lake Falcon on the Texas-Mexico border. 

What is your favorite movie? Top Gun

Who is your role model? A guy on youtube (ParoDoXz) 

If you were trapped on a deserted island, what three things would you bring? A fishing net

What will you miss about RMA? My friends 

What is your funniest story at RMA? Me bringing a fishing net for “Anything but a book bag” day 

What is one piece of advice you’d give to an incoming freshman? Don’t stress over schoolwork; just do the best you can, and you’ll be fine.