Senior Spotlight: Landon Duff

Virginia Feagans, Editor

Witty, reliable, and animated. Those words fully encompass the star of this week’s senior spotlight: the one and only Landon Duff. He joined the class of 2023 three years ago in the tenth grade, but it feels like he has been with us since the beginning. There is no one quite like him, and his hilarious personality never fails to make any situation a little brighter. A steadfast friend, Landon is always there for the people he is close with. “Landon spreads joy like a pathogen and makes life a comedy for everyone around him,” says good friend Kent Brantley and I do not think I could have put it better myself! 

For his senior year, Landon is taking Algebra III, AP Biology, Sports Medicine, and English 12 Advanced. His electives are Drama and Ceramics III. Landon’s hard work allowed him to make the A Honor Roll in his junior year! He also participates in Drama Club. In case you haven’t noticed, Landon is very active in Rocky Mount Academy’s Drama Department. He is a delight to see perform, coming alive on stage no matter the role he has. He helped with the Middle School’s production of Matilda, Jr. by playing the part of Trunchbull. He fit the role perfectly and–being the funniest character on stage–stole the show! In last year’s production of Little Me, he played the hilarious Bernie Buchsbaum, one of the agents who help make Belle Poitrine a star.  He also played Yulnick, the witty hand to the king. In the most recent production of Mamma Mia, Landon played Bill, one of Sophie’s possible dads who comes to the island upon her request. He played the character extremely well and it was possibly his best yet! (I hope everyone got the opportunity to see Landon’s last performance with RMA earlier this week!) When he is not onstage or at school, he can be found hard at work at American Eagle. In his free time, Landon likes to spend time with his friends and play video games. He also enjoys exploring new music and watching movies. 

At the beginning of this year, Landon applied to Wingate, Brevard, Appalachian State, High Point, Elon, Averett, and Wesleyan. Out of all of these, Wesleyan is the one lucky enough to have Landon attending it next year. He plans on majoring in either Communications or Law. I think I speak for everyone at RMA when I say that we will miss Landon’s easygoing personality and humor next year but are so excited to see where the future takes him. Landon, we wish you the best of luck in college next year and every year after! 

Get to Know Landon! 

What is your favorite movie?

Puss In Boots: The Last Wish

Describe your dream vacation. 

A 7-day cruise to Alaska with my friends from Maine.

Who is your role model?

My dad and my older brother. They inspire me to do what I love and be the best at it.

What is something nobody knows about you?

I don’t show it often, but I am very social. I enjoy conversing and getting to know people; it’s just a bit hard to break out of my shell, so most of the time I just sit in my seat quietly.

If you were trapped on a deserted island, what three things would you bring?

Grilled cheese maker, my best friend Brody, and a second grilled cheese maker.

What will you miss about RMA?

Study halls and Mr. Stancavish’s history classes.

What is your funniest story at RMA?

Any study hall with Cooper. Quite the humorous intellectual.

What is one piece of advice you’d give to an incoming freshman?

Be social and make a good image of yourself.

What class would you take again, and why?

World History with Mr. Stancavish. I’ve never had more fun during a class.