Senior Spotlight: Kiersten Carmichael

Mary Kimbrell Livermon, Photographer

This week’s senior spotlight is on a member of RMA’s Class of 2023 that RMA will miss greatly next year. Since her arrival in ninth grade, Kiersten Carmichael has been such a positive addition to the school. Her kind and loving heart is apparent each and every day. Kiersten is easy to talk to, and she will take the time to listen whenever you need someone to talk to. She is also one of the kindest people I know, so it isn’t surprising she uses these three words to describe herself: compassionate, honest, and trustworthy. Her classmate, Paige Brown, says, “Kiersten is the kind of friend who will always be there for you and is honest. I can always count on her to help me the second I ask no matter what time it is.” I couldn’t agree more and want to add another word describing Kiersten’s awesome personality: creative. Kiersten enjoys participating in plays for RMA and is a member of RMA’s Drama Club. More behind the scenes, her creativity will be shown in this year’s Eyrie as she is on the Yearbook staff. Her creative nature allows her to excel in both of those activities.

Kiersten balances her time with the drama and yearbook department with a rigorous course load. She is currently taking Ecology, Calculus Honors, English 12 Honors, and AP Environmental. In previous years, she has earned a spot on the A Honor Roll (grades 9-11) and numerous other awards: Most Enthusiastic in Honors English 9, High Achievement in Spanish I, Academic Distinction in Honors Spanish II, and Excellence in Biology I Honors and AP Biology. As you can tell, Kiersten is very busy, but that does not stop her from participating in the numerous clubs RMA has to offer. She is a member of Key Club, Beta Club, National Honors Society, Anatomy Club, RMA Photo Club, and Chorus. Another important thing to add is that Kiersten has been an avid member of Girl Scouts since she was five years old. She expands on her role in Girl Scouts saying, “It has played a major role in shaping me into the person I am today. Every chance I get I’m camping, planning events for other girls, earning badges and helping my community. While earning many awards and badges over the years, what brings me the most joy is teaching other girls the life skills Girl Scouts offers and how to apply them to every stage in their lives.” Kiersten is also a part of RMA’s cheerleading team in the fall and winter. In her free time, Kiersten enjoys being outside and hanging out with friends and family.

Kiersten has applied to High Point University, East Carolina University, and North Carolina State University. She is intending on majoring in Biomedical sciences or Neuroscience! We wish her the best of luck at college and life after college! We will miss her very much, but we are looking forward to watching her thrive later in life! 

Get to Know Kiersten:

What is your favorite movie?

Se7en

Describe your dream vacation. 

To spend a week camping in the mountains on the waterway

Who is your role model? 

My mom because she has always been there for me through thick and thin, and always reminds me to never give up and pursue my dreams and goals.

What is something nobody knows about you?

I bake and cook a lot in my freetime.

If you were trapped on a deserted island, what three things would you bring?

Knife, food/drink and my friends

What will you miss about RMA?

All of the friends I have made over the years. 

What is your funniest story at RMA?

I was sitting in Mr. Stone’s class, he hands me back my paper and tells me I am “The queen of being vague”.

What is one piece of advice you’d give to an incoming freshman?

Do not be afraid to ask questions because that’s often where you get the best understanding of the topic.

What class would you take again, and why?

Biology with Mrs. Lehnes because that was the year we had to go virtual and we never got the full experience.