Senior Spotlight: Ashley Passmore

Virginia Feagans, Editor

Five years ago, the class of 2023 gained one of the sweetest students ever when Ashley Passmore joined the Rocky Mount Academy family. Soft-spoken and kind, she is very easy to talk to and is always willing to lend a helping hand, particularly in math, in which she excels. Her patience while teaching others is something to be admired. Not everyone is able to explain something they are good at as well as she does! There have been many times she has absolutely saved me by helping me study for a test or just understand what I was supposed to have learned earlier in the day. She is also creative, spending much of her time in the art room composing artistic masterpieces for her AP Art course. By the end of the year, she is sure to have a beautiful AP portfolio! She is also very analytical, which is definitely attributed to her love (and skill) for math and science. Her good friend Gavin Bauer summed it up best when he said, “She’s a kind-hearted, creative, and highly intelligent person. With her, you can go from talking about lunch one second to a complex discussion of astrophysics the next.”

For her senior year, Ashley is taking a challenging schedule consisting of AP Physics, AP Calculus, Honors English, AP Psychology, Ceramics, and the aforementioned AP Art. Although physics is one of her preferred pastimes, she also enjoys reading and shares that with others in RMA’s Book Club. She engages in community service through her membership in Key Club and also participates in the Senior Beta Club. As far as sports are concerned, Ashley has been a figure-skater since 2021. She goes every weekend, and her most recently acquired skills are the waltz jump and a three turn. Ashley is working up to a one-footed spin, and I have no doubt she will master that very soon. This Christmas, she even participated in a Christmas showcase performance! Ashley is also very active in theatre. In this year’s production of Mamma Mia, she is playing Rosie. She has stepped right into the role, and everyone should absolutely come to see her shine this spring. 

This fall, Ashley applied to MIT, Harvard, Boston University, Northeastern, University of Washington, Penn State, and University of North Carolina at Charlotte. She intends to major in either Physics or Aerospace Engineering, which are two areas she will definitely do very well in. I am excited to see where life takes her, as I am positive that it will be very far. I can’t wait to see her on the news one day after she inevitably makes some major discovery or breakthrough in the world of science. Ashley, from everyone here at RMA, we know you will do so many incredible things in college and beyond, and wish you the best of luck next year! 

Get to Know Ashley!

What is your favorite movie?

The Martian or Hidden Figures

Describe your dream vacation. 

Traveling around Europe going to museums and learning upper level math, physics, and engineering stuff

Who is your role model

my Mom and sister

What is something nobody knows about you?

My sister gave me my middle name (Rose)

If you were trapped on a deserted island, what three things would you bring?

A phone, cell tower, portable charger

What will you miss about RMA?

Art class

What is one piece of advice you’d give to an incoming freshman?

Even if you don’t plan now on going to an Ivy, prep like you’re going to apply to all of them

What class would you take again, and why?

Art 2 because it was fun

What do you like to do in your free time?

Knit, figure skate, sew, do physics