Nash General Jr. Volunteer Summer Program

Gabbi Ams, Photographer

Earlier this past week, Mr. Tucker sent out an email to Upper School students about a volunteer opportunity with Nash-UNC Health Care, where students can shadow doctors and gain experience in different medical environments. The Junior Volunteer Program is an 8-week-long summer program for students interested in a career in the medical field to gain experience, explore interests, and develop essential skills. RMA has many students who volunteer with this program every year, and after talking with students who are interested in applying, this year seems no different.

I learned more about the day-to-day of the program and the application process by talking with Adrienne Mosely (11th), who recently participated. When applying, you need two recommendation letters from current teachers along with an essay on why you want to be in the program. If you’re accepted, the daily routine of the program revolves around your interests in the medical field. It seems that you’re asked which floor you would like to be placed on to shadow (cancer, surgical, women’s center, etc.). “I was on the cancer floor last summer, which meant I got to sit with patients while they got their chemo treatments, bring them blankets and snacks, and talk to them,” Adrienne said. You can typically only pick one floor to volunteer on, but this student was an exception and was able to move floors. “Near the end of the program, I was able to move to the women’s center. I really enjoyed working there, and I was even able to see an actual c-section happen. I want to be a nurse, so this was a great opportunity to explore what I want to focus on later on.” 

This program is so important for learning how to interact with patients and the impact their caregivers (and not just doctors) make. One of the most important aspects of working in the medical field is patient care, and the chance to learn and develop that skill is an amazing opportunity that no student interested in healthcare should pass up. That being said, this program is very competitive. Applications are open until March 31, with decisions going out in the first week of May. The minimum requirements of the program are 60 hours of volunteer work, committing to at least one full day a week and the required half-days, two teacher recommendations, and attendance at the mandatory orientation. If you have any interest in the medical field at all, apply as soon as you can!