Senior Spotlight: Alex Gardner

Mary Kimbrell Livermon, Photographer

Senior Spotlight: Alex Gardner

This week’s senior spotlight is on a member of RMA’s Class of 2023 who truly lights up every room she enters. Alex Gardner’s contagious laugh and positive attitude make her stand out in a room full of people while bringing smiles to their faces. Since her arrival at RMA in the first grade, I have been able to count on Alex to cheer me up whenever I need a laugh. Her classmates and teachers truly consider Alex an irreplaceable classmate of the Class of 2023. When asked to describe herself, Alex uses three words: fun, friendly, and bubbly. I couldn’t agree more. Her friend Riley Bowles says, “Alex is always the one person you can usually spot me with at school at all times. Her laugh is contagious to everyone around, and she is one of the most lovable and loyal people I know. Alex and I have made countless memories together and our sister-like bond is something I will forever cherish.”

Alex keeps herself busy with a rigorous course load her senior year. Her schedule consists of Calculus Honors, English 12 Honors, AP Environmental Science, and AP Psychology. She also puts her creativity to work every morning during her Ceramics III class. Aside from her scheduled classes, she is also an active participant in numerous clubs RMA has to offer, including the Kindness Club, Anatomy Club, Key Club, and Stronger Together and the Fellowship of Christian Athletes. As you can tell, Alex is very busy during the school day, but she still excels at all she does. Her academic efforts earned her a spot on the A Honor Roll and an award for Excellence in Ceramics her junior year. 

Alex also makes time for athletics, and she was an important member of our volleyball team this fall. Alex’s position as libero helped play a big part in the girls’ very successful season. Her outstanding effort this season did not go unnoticed, earning her All-Tournament honors. Not only does Alex contribute to the physical success of the team, but she also displays exemplary sportsmanship and lifts up her teammates. This spring, she will be on the soccer team, and I’m sure she will shine just as brightly there as she did on the volleyball court. After the school day ends, you can either find Alex volunteering in her community while representing the Debuette Club or working at Bailey’s! In her free time, Alex enjoys watching movies and shows with her friends, shopping, and going to the beach with her family where she loves tanning on her porch. 

Alex has applied to East Carolina University and the University of North Carolina at Wilmington. She has already received her acceptance from ECU and has applied to the Honors College. She plans on majoring in Nursing, and I have no doubt she will excel. Although we are sad to see her go, we are so thrilled to see what life has in store for her!

Get to Know Alex:

Favorite Movie?

How to Lose a Guy in Ten Days

Describe your dream vacation. 

My dream vacation would probably be going somewhere tropical like Turks and Caicos or Bora Bora! I love being in the sun and swimming so a place that has such pretty water/beaches would be amazing!

Who is your role model?

My mom is my role model. She is the strongest person I know and she is always trying to help me in any way she can.

What is something nobody knows about you?

I laugh during inappropriate times (awkward situations).

If you were trapped on a deserted island, what three things would you bring?

I would bring a friend, a brush, and a radio so I can listen to music.

What will you miss about RMA?

I will miss all the great teachers and the memories I have made while being here.

What is your funniest story at RMA?

In 8th grade, I was in Dr. K’s class and everyone was trying to get exempt from the exam. It was silent in the classroom and I was sitting down while Colin Baker was trying to answer the question right. He got it wrong, and he ran over to his chair and jumped into it and the whole thing fell over; the wheels were in the air, and he was on the ground. (He wasn’t hurt!) I cried laughing for an hour, and for 2 weeks after that, every time I would think of it, I would start hysterically laughing. Even to this day I laugh every time I think about it (even right now as I write this). I have never laughed so hard in my life.

What is one piece of advice you’d give to an incoming freshman?

I would tell them to go ahead and take the difficult classes and get them out of the way so your senior year can be a breeze. I would also tell them not to stress too much because a few bad grades don’t determine your future!

What class would you take again, and why?

I would take ceramics again because while working on your art/pottery, you get to talk to the people in your class and socialize.