Senior Spotlight: Harrison Vaughn

Virginia Feagans, Editor

This very special Senior Spotlight stars one of the few “lifers” of the class of 2023: Harrison Vaughn! I have been lucky enough to call Harrison one of my best friends since second grade. I have no idea where I would be without him and am so very thankful for him. There are no better words that can be used to describe him than what he has already used himself: outgoing, kind, and loyal. With his extremely outgoing personality, Harrison is someone who is able to talk to anyone about anything. He is also one of the kindest people you could ever meet. He is always there to cheer you up on even the worst of days and always there to be a friend when you need one the most. He is also very loyal; once he is your friend, you can expect him to stick with you no matter what. 

Here is one more word that belongs on his list: positive. He has an infectious sense of positivity that always manages to find a way to make any situation, no matter how bad, seem just a little bit better. His good friend Sarah Wiederhold described him best when she said, “He’s one of the only people I can sit and laugh about nothing for hours with. I am so lucky and so blessed to be friends with him, and I know anyone else who has the opportunity to meet him can say the same. He is one of those people who you just know will accomplish great things in life, and I am so grateful to have spent my highschool years around such a genuinely awesome person.” 

For his senior year, Harrison has a rigorous schedule comprised of Spanish 4 Honors, AP Psychology, AP English Literature and Composition, Calculus Honors, and AP Environmental Science. He is also taking Drama–which is demanding in its own way– as his elective this year. Harrison clearly believes in hard work, so it’s no surprise that he has been recognized in the past with the Highest Academic Average in AP US Government and Politics, Highest Academic Average in AP US History, Outstanding Performance in Honors Spanish III, High Achievement in Spanish I, Academic Distinction in Honors Spanish II, and A Honor Roll in 10th and 11th grade. Outside of the classroom, he is involved in many clubs at Rocky Mount Academy, such as Senior Beta Club (coming in 5th place in the Social Studies Competition), Spanish Honors Society (in which he won the Silver Award on the National Spanish Exam), Key Club, and the Global Studies Honors Program. He is a founding member of both Kindness Club and Carbon Club, as well as Vice President of SGA. He is also an incredible athlete, having devoted many years to Cross Country and Track and Field. All of his hard work has certainly paid off, as he came in 14th place in the State Cross Country meet this year and ended his cross country career with a personal best record of 18:33.  Outside of school, Harrison enjoys going on runs, reading, and hanging out with his friends while still making time to persue his Eagle Scout recognition. 

At the beginning of this school year, Harrison applied to UNC, USC, NC State, Appalachian, and UNCW. So far, he has received acceptances from USC and Appalachian State, and we’re sure more are on their way! Even though he does not know where he is going to go yet, he is going to do many incredible things regardless. His hardworking spirit is going to take him very far in life.  It will not be the same next year without having him just around the corner, but I think I speak for everyone at RMA when I say we are so excited to see all the amazing things he will accomplish next year, and every year after that.

Get to know Harrison!

What is your favorite movie? 

The Hunger Games

Describe your dream vacation. 

Italy or Croatia

Who is your role model?

My parents. They’ve been through so much and I’ve learned so much from them.

What is something nobody knows about you?

That I can play some piano tunes.

If you were trapped on a deserted island, what three things would you bring?

Books, sunscreen, and water.

What will you miss about RMA?

I will miss the close friends I made and the various teachers who have impacted my life.

What is your funniest story at RMA?

Probably when most of the school got together for a literal sticker wedding in Ms. O’Brien’s class. 

What is one piece of advice you’d give to an incoming freshman?

Do all of your homework and don’t slack off because freshman year does actually matter for college. 

What class would you take again, and why?

1. Gov–that class was so fun and memorable.