Winter Sports

Winter+Sports

Gabbi Ams, Photographer

RMA’s fall sports this year were amazing, but the end of fall sports means one thing: winter sports begin! Our winter sports, basketball and swimming, are sure to follow fall sports in success.

This year, there are seven basketball teams between Middle and Upper school. 

All three middle school teams are off to a solid start this season, having multiple wins under their belts. The MS girls, coached by Hanna Mizell, blew out Sallie B. Howard in its first game of the season. The MS boys, led by Mr. Powell, are also doing well. 

Our JV girls and boys are also off to a good start. The boys are 3-1 for the season, with just one loss to Freedom Christian. The girls are coached by Mrs. Bryant and the boys by Coach Hula. 

Varsity basketball, both girls and boys, have dominated so far this year. Varsity girls basketball, coached by Mrs. Johnston, has dominated in regular season play with big wins against Thales (49-2), Sallie. B Howard (62-11), St. Mary’s (51-28), and Trinity Academy (41-19). Their only losses have been to Parrot Academy and Wilson Christian, giving them a 5-2 record. Taylor Carmichael, Mackenzie Davis, and Isabella Daza have all proved to be top scorers for the Eagles. The boys, lead by Coach Gutshall, are not far behind with a 2-3 record, defeating the Oakwood School and Parrot Academy. 

Basketball has always been a favorite among students for after-school activities, and this year’s teams are sure to have good, competition-filled games that are fun to watch for everyone. Basketball will continue into early February, giving everyone a chance to see these awesome teams play! The next chance to see our Eagles at home is Thursday (12/15) against New Life Christian Academy. Come out and show your support for the Eagles!

RMA’s other winter sport, swimming, is also starting back up. RMA swimmers are very dedicated, with many practices starting before school around 6 am. The swim team, which is coached by Brian and Bri Winham, had its first swim meet last Friday (12/2) and will have six more meets leading up to states in February. If you’d like to come cheer our swimmers on, your next opportunity will be Friday (12/9) at the YMCA in New Bern. Anyone in grades 7-12 that wants to swim is encouraged to join! 

RMA sports never disappoint, and I can say with certainty that this year is no exception. I know I am not alone in my excitement to watch all these amazing student-athletes play this season!