Senior Spotlight: Caroline Colston

Mari Robin Tharin, Secretary

This week, one of our Senior Spotlights shines on someone who is a ray of sunshine and an absolute joy to be around. Known for her bright smile, incredible fashion sense, and unique makeup looks, this article highlights the one and only Caroline Colston. She used the words “unique, loyal, and comedic” to describe herself, and I couldn’t agree more. Caroline doesn’t just jump on trends or follow what everyone else is doing; she is her own self. Not only is she a loyal friend, but you can always count on her for a good laugh. Caroline is no stranger to anyone at RMA; she is one of many lifers in the class of 2023! Even more notable, Caroline’s father and uncle were students here at RMA too, making her a legacy. As her good friend Sarah states, “Caroline is one of a kind, everyone you ask has at least one story with her. She always knows when to crack a joke and is one of the best people you can ask for in your life.”

Caroline is a wonderful classmate because she is always eager to learn something new and always willing to lend a helping hand. This year she is taking Ecology, English, and Advanced Functions and Modeling where she works diligently to be the best student she can. Her hard work and willingness to learn has paid off and earned her B Honor Roll for 11th Grade and Most Enthusiastic in English 9. The remainder of Caroline’s school day is for her to let her creative side shine. Her electives this year are Drama and Ceramics 3. One thing many people may not know about Caroline is that she is very artistic and can make her own unique masterpiece out of anything. Caroline loves to make jewelry for herself and others. She is very humble about her talent, so you may not know that the bright jewelry you see Caroline wearing was actually created by her, but once you learn this fact, you will be amazed by her awesome abilities with beads, string, and other materials. 

Outside of the classroom, Caroline keeps herself busy! She loves spending time with friends and family. Knowing Caroline for so many years, I have seen how much she values family and puts them first. She also loves doing puzzles with family! This year, Caroline decided to take up cheerleading for her final year at RMA. I have loved seeing Caroline cheer at football games and am looking forward to seeing her at basketball games. Although she is new to cheerleading, she has picked up the cheers and movements in no time, and it is very evident that she is a natural and fits in perfectly with the team. Beyond school activities, Caroline volunteers at the animal shelter with her aunt and cousin. Caroline is such a generous and giving person in addition to being a natural with animals. I am confident that her loving heart and sweet spirit are gifts to the animals she cares for and helps with. 

As for next year, Caroline has applied to Nash Community College and has already been accepted! Caroline has been at RMA since Pre-K, so her absence will definitely be felt next year. I am so thankful for the opportunity to get to know Caroline over the past 13 years. I know I speak for our entire class and school when I say that we can’t wait to watch Caroline’s kindness, enthusiasm, and joy shine in the next chapter of her life. 

Get to know Caroline:

What is your favorite movie?

Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Describe your dream vacation. 

At a spa resort

Who is your role model?

My mom

If you were trapped on a deserted island, what three things would you bring?

Unlimited supply of food and water, a camera, and a bathing suit

What will you miss about RMA?

Either the teachers or the students

What is your funniest story at RMA?

The time I wedgied myself by accident on the soccer field fence

What is one piece of advice you’d give to an incoming freshman?
Never ask to go to the bathroom in Mrs. Helms’ class