Senior Spotlight: Kate Hudgins

Mary Kimbrell Livermon, Photographer

This senior spotlight is on one member of the Class of 2023 that truly brings a smile to my face. Kate Hudgins has a radiant personality that lights up every room she enters. Whether it is showing me a picture of a cute dog she saw on the internet or a funny video she saw on Instagram, she is my sunshine on a cloudy day. 

When asked to describe herself, Kate uses the words friendly, easy-going, and helpful. I couldn’t agree more. She is always one of the first people to introduce herself to a stranger and get to know someone new. She is one of the nicest people I know, so I can definitely agree that “friendly” is a word to describe Kate. As for the easy-going part, I have never seen someone more calm on a day-to-day basis than Kate. Anyone who knows her can attest to what a chill personality she has. She was by my side as I dealt with the death of a family member this year, and I counted on her to be there for me when I needed her. She was the first to bring me dinner to keep me distracted from the loss. She helped me tremendously through that tough time, and that is Kate’s personality. She is always willing to help when you need it.

I would like to add another word to describe Kate: strong. She has faced things that no teenager should ever have to face. Even with the threat of losing her mom to Covid-19, Kate was stronger than I could have ever imagined. She carried on every day, even though she was hurting inside. I am truly grateful for the person I call my best friend. Her classmate Mari Robin Tharin also wanted to share something about Kate, saying, “Kate has been one of my closest friends for nearly all of my life. From Camp Albemarle to our Florida trip to warming the bench together and so much more, we have made so many memories over the years. Kate is one of the strongest people I know, and I love her so much. I don’t know what I’d do without her!”

Kate is no stranger to hard work in the classroom. With her rigorous schedule consisting of AP Psychology, Calculus Honors, AP Environmental Science, and Honors English 12, you can tell Kate is an excellent student. She is also enrolled in Statistics at Nash Community College, which shows her drive to excel in the classroom. Her stellar academics have won her Highest Academic Average in Advanced English 9 and 10, Academic Excellence in Honors World Cultures, High Achievement in Spanish I, II, and III, Highest Academic Average in Honors Modern European History, Academic Excellence in Honors US History, and last but not least, the Citizenship Award. Along with academic achievements, she also participates in numerous clubs. She is a member of Key Club, Global Studies, Stronger Together Club, SGA, Senior Beta Club, and National Honor Society. 

Kate participates in athletics, as well. She is part of the cross country team and the softball team in the spring. Kate was a member of the 2021 2A Softball State Championship team and the 2022 2A State Runner-Up Softball team with her tremendous efforts in right field and at the plate. In addition, she has played basketball in the past. She states that being part of an athletic team will be something she will miss after graduating high school. In her free time, Kate enjoys hanging out with friends, shopping, and going to the beach. 

Kate has applied to North Carolina State University, the University of North Carolina at Wilmington, East Carolina University, and Meredith College. She has already been accepted into East Carolina and is in the process of applying to their Honors College. Her intended major is elementary education, and I think it is a perfect fit! We will miss Kate tremendously next year, but we wish her the best of luck in years to come. Who knows, we might see her back at Rocky Mount Academy as a teacher in the future!

Get to know Kate!

What is your favorite movie?

Elf

Describe your dream vacation. 

It would be Hawaii, where I can swim with dolphins, snorkel, and visit the Dole Pineapple Plantation.

Who is your role model?

My mom because she has shown me how to be positive even in difficult situations.

What is something nobody knows about you?

My first pet was a hermit crab named Crabby.

If you were trapped on a deserted island, what three things would you bring?

Water, a friend, and a boat

What will you miss about RMA?

My classmates and teachers

What is your funniest story at RMA?

When I knocked down Mr. Herbert’s plant in 11th grade history

What class would you take again, and why? 

English 11 because I love how Dr. O’Brien teaches. 

What is one piece of advice you’d give to an incoming freshman?

Enjoy every minute.