Senior Spotlight: Colin Baker

Mary Kimbrell Livermon, Photographer

This week’s senior spotlight is one member of the senior class who is surely unforgettable. From his contagious laughter to his raging school spirit, Colin Baker never fails to put a smile on my face. He is the first to open the door for others and is always respectful. Three words come to mind when describing Colin: ambitious, funny, and energetic. He truly lights up every room he enters by cracking a joke in every situation imaginable. Colin, without a doubt, is one of the funniest people I know and ce carries his sense of humor wherever he goes. Whether it is to the soccer field to pump up his teammates or to his bass-fishing boat on a cold morning, he is always able to lighten the mood and put a smile on your face. When asked to describe his classmate, Isaac Lewis said, “Colin and I have been best friends ever since I came to RMA in the 4th grade, but since then we’ve become more like brothers. The guy is always willing to do anything he can to help me and everybody around him. He’ll never fail to make you laugh when you’re feeling down, and you can talk to him about anything and somehow he’ll always understand.” 

Colin’s schedule consists of Ecology, AP Psychology, Honors English 12, Honors Calculus, and AP Biology. Colin’s hope to be a large animal vet has led him to apply to East Carolina University, Lees McRae, Oregon Tech, and his top choice, North Carolina State University. His interest in large animal veternary practice stemmed from Colin’s childhood as he helped his granddad with the cows around his farm. Colin has taken multiple science courses over his high school years in order to prepare him for what he would like to major in throughout college. During 9th and 10th grade, Colin took Biology and Chemistry, while last year, he took AP Environmental Science and Marine Biology. As you can tell from his courseload, Colin is taking advantage of the many science classes RMA has to offer. 

To go along with his academic interests in science, Colin loves to fish and hunt in his free time. Colin is apart of the RMA Fishing Club, and on the weekends, you can either find him in his bass-fishing boat or in a hunting blind. Colin also spends a lot of his free time at his job at Benvenue Coutry Club. Even when he is not working, Colin enjoys playing a round of golf with his friends. Colin’s free time is limited during the school year because he is a multi-sport athlete. He plays soccer, basketball, and baseball. Even when he is not on the field, Colin displays a tremendous amount of school spirit as he goes above and beyond in dressing up for the Friday-night football games. He displays good sportsmanship as he encourages the players and his teammates on the field. 

Colin is a true leader and a valuable asset to the class of 2023, and I am sure he will continue to use his leadership skills in the future. RMA and his classmates will undoubtedly miss him, but we know he is going to do great things in life. We truly cannot wait to watch him as he succeeds!

Get To Know Colin:

What is your favorite movie?

Tombstone

Describe your dream vacation.

Going on a hunting trip with my best friends (Isaac Lewis and Will Tharin) to the west to hunt elk and bighorn sheep

Who is your role model?

Steve Irwin

What is something nobody knows about you?

I am a huge fan of old Taylor Swift.

If you were trapped on a deserted island, what three things would you bring?

A boat, a fishing rod, and honey buns

What will you miss most about RMA?

The tacos

What is your funniest story at RMA?

On the Field Day Ms. Whitehead’s class, the volunteers were playing kickball, I chased a foul ball, (please note that no one screamed “FENCE!!”)and I ran into the fence. I sliced my chin open and still have the scar.

What is one piece of advice you’d give to an incoming freshman?

Don’t wear your hat inside

What class would you take again, and why?

I would take Freshman biology, I loved Mrs. Lehnes’s classes. I also love biology.