Dear RMA… A Thank You Letter

Dear RMA... A Thank You Letter

As I began to type my last article for the Eagle Examiner, I asked myself “What do I write about?” After further reflection I came to the conclusion to write about RMA. Why write about a small event or do a top ten? I want to write about Rocky Mount Academy. The place that has impacted me more than I ever imagined. Instead of writing a normal article, I am going to write a thank you note to RMA. Here goes nothing…

Dear Rocky Mount Academy,

Thank you for all of the fond memories you have given me. From Rob having to get Coach Randy to stop the bus on the highway so he could empty his stomach, to watching Maxwell cry at every place we went to in New York, every memory has been a fantastic memory. The funny thing is, most of my memories that are going to make me miss this place were not the big things that happened once a month. Most of the memories that are going to make me miss RMA are the daily occurrences. These include the funny jokes between Mr. Winstead and I, and Logan correcting Dr. Wells in Ecology. For as many dull moments as there are around here, there are more memorable ones.

Thank you for creating the feeling of a second home for my classmates and I. Walking into school every morning, I feel as I am walking into my house. I am surrounded by people I know very well, maybe even too well. There are no strangers and when new students are admitted, they are not strangers for long. Every classroom is filled with a level of comfort where students can be themselves. I don’t even think about my class being classmates, more as family members.

Thank you for preparing me for college and the working world. I have always heard that RMA students come back to visit and say that Rocky Mount Academy prepared them for college very well. Even though it is hard to imagine now, I will be thankful for the amount of work assigned and the seriousness of the courses when I am in college next year. Writing until my fingers bleed in Mr. Stone’s class may not seem much fun at the time, but I know that one day I will realize why we did what we did. It will all be worth it when I am in college.

Thank you for the incredible teachers and staff members. One of the things I will miss most next year is seeing the smiling faces of the lunch ladies at break and then enjoying my sausage egg and cheese biscuit in the company of Mrs. A. The teachers here have taught me so much about the specifics of what we were studying and about life in general. I have learned hard work from Mr. Stone, to think outside of the box from Mrs. Baker-Smith and organization from Ms. Carter. The athletic coaches have always given me the best advice in order to perform in the best way I can. They have filled me with knowledge, lessons, and laughter. The things I have learned from the faculty, teachers, and coaches at RMA will remain with me forever.

And finally, thank you Rocky Mount Academy for allowing me to graduate from a school that I can be incredibly proud to come from. I will always hold RMA in the best regards and reminisce on the incredible years I have spent here. The teachers, faculty, students, coaches, and parents of RMA make me delighted to say that I have graduated from such an amazing place. It’s not about the location of the school and what it looks like, but the people that surround this place are the ones that make it so special.

Thank you again RMA, for everything. I am so grateful I have been able to spend 4 years here and my only regret is I won’t been able to stay longer.

Sincerely,

Thomas Moore and the Class of 2017