Over the summer, Rocky Mount Academy gained several new staff members, one of them being Ms. Holloman, our newest Kindergarten teacher and ASE supervisor. Ms. Holloman makes an excellent addition to the RMA staff! Ms. Holloman attended Pitt Community College and East Carolina University. She has an associate’s degree in Early Childhood Education. Ms. Holloman, a Rocky Mount native, knew she wanted to be a teacher early in life because of her passion for helping others learn new things. She valued helping others so much that she created a math tutoring program while she was in high school, affirming her desire to become a teacher. Ms. Holloman has a close-knit relationship with her family, and she shares the same close relationship with her students and other faculty members at RMA, adding to the family-like atmosphere at school. Ms. Holloman’s desire to help others comes from not only her own values but also the values of her family. Ms. Holloman’s parents are both missionaries in Jamaica. Her mom is director of Sew Very Loved, a ministry that teaches women how to sew in order to provide for their families. Whenever possible, Ms. Holloman goes to Jamaica and leads a team of missionaries. In fact, she considers Jamaica her second home. Ms. Holloman describes her favorite moment as a teacher as “witnessing the lightbulb coming on inside someone’s head when they figure out and begin to understand a concept.” Even though her Kindergarten class can be a handful, Ms. Holloman is able to teach them with grace, patience, and compassion. Welcome to the RMA family, Ms. Holloman! We are lucky to have you!
Get to know Ms. Holloman!
1) Have you had any careers prior to your time at RMA? I graduated in May of 2020. I began my career in the education field in January of 2020 and started in the two year old classroom at First Baptist Day Care. COVID happened and the center closed its doors for good. At the end of May, I began a summer job at Kidz Place to Bee in the 3 year old and Pre K classroom and then began my job here at RMA in August.
2) What are your hobbies/interests? I enjoy all things sports and spending time with my family, friends, and most importantly my dog, Langston.
3) Have you been involved in sports, music, art, etc. growing up? If so, elaborate. I grew up doing competition dance, gymnastics, competition cheer, basketball, and softball. During middle school, I stopped doing all of those except cheer and softball. Once I got to high school, I dropped softball, and I did competition cheer as a flyer and a base. During those four years with my high school competition cheer team, we ended up winning two national championship titles for our school.
4) Where do you see yourself in ten years? In ten years, I hope to still be teaching, have my Master’s in Math Education, and have a family of my own!
5) Describe a person who has made the biggest impact on your life. My sister has made the biggest impact on my life. Although she is younger than me, I look up to her so much. She randomly lost feeling in her legs from mid thigh down in both legs her freshman year of high school, and we never figured out why. Since then, she’s learned how to walk again without feeling and slowly began to regain feeling a few years later. Although we never figured out the cause behind it, she never let it get her down. She is one of the strongest and bravest people I know, and I strive to be like her everyday.
6) What are your biggest pet peeves? My biggest pet peeves would have to be not trying/applying yourself and leaving time on the microwave instead of clearing it out. Very silly, I know.
7) Describe your dream vacation. My dream vacation destination is Santorini. I wouldn’t mind staying in a resort, but I would want to explore and experience its true culture while I’m there with my closest friends.
8) What is your favorite TV show and why? My favorite show is Grey’s Anatomy. Before I wanted to be a teacher, I wanted to be a nurse. I love all the cool surgical cases that come through on the show.
9) What is your favorite part about being at Rocky Mount Academy? My favorite part about RMA is that this school is like one big family. The atmosphere this school has created for its students and staff is like no other and I’m very excited to be a part of it!