Senior Spotlight: Thomas Griffin

Lauren Seale

Just about everyone at Rocky Mount Academy knows the name Thomas Griffin. It’s been one of the few names that has been prevalent here for the 14 years it takes to qualify him as a “lifer.” Whether you are hearing it over the loudspeaker at a football or baseball game, on the announcements as recognition for one of his many athletic and academic achievements, or in the hallways as his many friends get his attention, the name Thomas Griffin is frequently heard around campus. And it should be, as it is the name of a well rounded and well loved individual at RMA.

One of Thomas’ favorite things to do is be active. He is a member of the State Championship football team, the varsity baseball team, as well as the shooting team at RMA. He has always excelled in whatever he puts his mind to, and sports are no exception. He, and the other boys on the football team, worked throughout the summer and school year to prepare for their season. Their hard work and dedication paid off with their State Championship title and  4x, “blinged out” rings (which they received this week at the RMA vs Kerr Vance Academy basketball games). As a linebacker and guard, Thomas had a fantastic season; his name was on the loudspeaker multiple times every game announcing his tackles! “Thomas exemplifies the type of young men coaches truly appreciate having on their team,” said football coach Terrell Hudgins. “He leads by example and does what is asked of him, plus more. I am excited to see what the future holds for Thomas because I know whatever he goes after, he will achieve it.”

As for baseball, Thomas began as a catcher, but recently has been enjoying playing as a designated hitter. In fact, he even hit a homerun last season! The shooting team is where he brings his love of the outdoors into his athletic endeavors. With some of his best friends, he shoots clay pigeons for school in the fall and spring, and then goes duck hunting on the weekends during duck season. I have also been deer, turkey, and bear hunting with Thomas! If this isn’t enough proof of his love of the outdoors, he is also an Eagle Scout. His experiences with scouting have not only impacted his own life, but they have improved the RMA community, as his Eagle Scout Project was providing the flag pole by the football/baseball field and tennis courts!

As well as excelling on the field, Thomas is a star in the classroom! His schedule is challenging and impressive, consisting of a load of AP classes like AP Calculus, AP Chemistry, and AP Government. In these courses, Thomas is consistently towards the top of the class. He is a member of National Honor Society, and was a graduation marshal last year. Other than weightlifting, his favorite classes have traditionally been in the math and science departments. This is especially fitting, as he plans on pursuing a career in the medical field. Right now, he is aiming to be an anesthesiologist, so AP Chemistry seems to be the right class for him!

Overall, Thomas Griffin has made more of an impact at this school than he seems to believe. Whether he is providing leadership and friendship to its students or donating his time and efforts to its betterment, he has been an integral part of the Rocky Mount Academy family since his pre-school days. I know I personally would have had a much different RMA experience without him here as my bestfriend and boyfriend. Our senior class would be missing out on so much humor and happiness if he were not a part of it. After having been at the same school his entire life, it makes sense he wants to get away for at least these next four years of his education. So, wherever Thomas ends up next year, whether it be UGA, Alabama, or possibly somewhere a little closer to home, we are sure he will have massive success! More than that, he will still have the support of the 30 other people from his senior class, as well as the other students and faculty at RMA who have been impacted by his humorous and caring personality.

If you would like to learn more about Thomas, please refer to the following interview:

1) What does being a lifer at RMA mean to you? Being a lifer doesn’t mean as much necessarily but all the memories and people I have met through my years at RMA are what really mean a lot to me and make RMA such a special place. Winning the State Championship my senior year after so much hard work and effort throughout the summer and school year is probably one of my favorite memories, though.

2) If you could do anything in the entire world for a career, what would you do? I would be a college or professional sports, preferably football, coach.

3) What colleges did you apply to? What is your first choice? I applied to the University of Georgia, University of Alabama, University of Tennessee, North Carolina State University, and University of North Carolina Chapel Hill. UGA is my #1 choice.

4) What is your favorite restaurant to go to (for long lunch or a fancy place, either or both answers work)? For long lunch, probably Chic-fil-a or Tokyo Express, but my favorite restaurant would be either Capital Grille or Bruno’s.

5) I know you love to play football and baseball at RMA (and you used to play basketball as well). Do you intend to pursue continuing your involvement with these sports on some level in college, whether it be through varsity/club level teams or by some other means? I have plans of trying to play club sports in college but don’t know how serious those desires will be once I’m in college.

6) Is there any specific trip, experience, or opportunity you’ve been given/gone on that has made an impact on your life? Explain? The global studies trip to Costa Rica probably had the biggest impact; going to the orphanage was a lot of fun, and it showed me just how lucky I am.

7) When you are not in school (whether on a break like we just had or on the weekends), what is your favorite thing to do Hanging out with my friends and family.

8) Do you have a favorite song/music genre? Favorite movie? Not really, I like most music. As for a favorite movie, it would be either Talladega Nights or Step Brothers.

9) What do you think would be the scariest moment you’ve had in your life so far Facing my mother when she is truly angry.

10) As a senior, many people at RMA look up to you, but by being a leader in many clubs and sports  teams, your influence extends even further. Do you have any advice to give to underclassmen about high school, senior year, the college application process, or just about life? Do not procrastinate and always push yourself to be the best you can be whether it be in sports or the classroom. Other than that, just have fun in high school because it flies by, make sure you spend lots of time with your friends and make the most of your years of high school sports because you can only go to high school and play sports at that level once.