A New Tradition: RMA Promposals 2017

Along with the stress of finding a dress, tux, corsage, dinner plans and more, juniors and seniors all across the United States are now almost required to ask their date to prom in increasingly creative and elaborate ways. This recent phenomenon is known as a promposal, a play on words replacing a marriage proposal with a prom invitation. With prom approaching quickly, April 7th, Rocky Mount Academy has been no exception in contributing to the number of cute promposals. From the front sign of the school to C Hall, students have no doubt witnessed these 18 promposals either in person or through social media. Enjoy the awesome promposals, in order of occurrence, from the Junior and Senior class!

Click here to see last year’s promposals!

Juniors Thomas Griffin and Lauren Seale, February 26

If anyone knows Lauren, you know her love for her sweet triplet cousins! Thomas used this to his advantage by asking them to hold up posters saying “Be my date for prom?” How could she say no to these cuties? Oh, and Thomas too.

Junior Corbett Cobb and Senior Parker Ferebee, March 3

Many teenage boys love their trucks/cars and Corbett is no exception. It must have been difficult for him to write “Parker, Will you go to prom with me?” on his car windows with the fear of it not coming off or messing up the windows. It’s a good thing she said yes because he must have really wanted to go with her!

Juniors Joe Cockrell and Holly Brantley, March 5

While working the concessions stand at the Imperial Center as a junior class fundraiser, Joe steered his conversation with Holly to Harry Potter, which she loves. He asked her who her favorite character was and when she responded with Hermione Granger he said, “Well, I will be your Victor Crum and we can go to prom!” (For those of you who are not HP fans, Victor is her love interest in the story).

Senior Rob Turnage and Sophomore Isabel Smith, March 7

On the morning of March 7, everyone driving into school noticed that something was a little different about the front of the school. Rob made a poster to cover the sign at the front of the school so when Isabel drove in, she would see it. Thankfully, he heard a honk meaning she said yes!

Junior Jacob Watkins and Sophomore Lillie Daughtridge, March 10

I would argue that the key to the heart of many girls is not flowers, jewelry, or clothes, but food! Jacob Watkins used this to his advantage and secured a “yes” from his prom date Lillie. After bringing her chicken nuggets from Zaxby’s, he asked her to make him a “lucky nugget” and go to prom!

Junior Bailey Beddingfield and Sophomore Haven Ross, March 10

While hanging out with a group of friends at a bonfire, Bailey made small fires around the word PROM which he spelled out of wheat. It’s a good thing she isn’t afraid of fire or she might not have been so enthusiastic to say yes!

Seniors Justin Snipes and Allie Morrison, March 14

One highlight of the Senior Trip to New York is visiting the M&M store where you can purchase any flavor/color of the yummy chocolate candies and even personalize your own. Justin took advantage of this unique opportunity while in NYC and ordered M&M’s with a picture of him with Allie on one side and “Prom?” on the other. When they arrived at his house, he also bought a teddy bear and flowers and asked her to prom! Of course she said yes to this creative, thoughtful promposal.

Junior Caleb Lambert and Freshman Ada Everette, March 14

Again, girls love candy and chocolate. Caleb is aware of this and gave Ada a bouquet of dum-dum lollipops. Along with food, clever puns are a crucial aspect of promposals and Caleb used a pun calling himself a dum dum to miss prom with her and of course she said yes!

Seniors Max Collins and Emily Cheston, March 17

On St. Patrick’s Day Krispy Kreme was selling green donuts and Max used this to his advantage with his Shrek themed promposal. After getting out of the car at Chick-fil-A, where Max works, Emily saw him holding the box of green donuts asking her to be his Princess Fiona.

Seniors Sharpe Newton and Anna Scott Wingfield, March 18

Sneakily, Sharpe put a new keychain on Anna Scott’s keys which he made himself out of blue and white beads. When he tossed her the keys, she immediately recognized something different about her keys and saw ASW PROM on the keychain. Luckily, she didn’t drive away before saying yes!

Junior Jarrett Snipes and Senior Suzanna Mosley, March 19

While skating with friends at the lovely Star City in Rocky Mount, Jarrett told Suzanna he was going to buy something at the snack bar. After he was gone for a few minutes, and she heard the voice on the loudspeaker telling everyone to clear the rink, she knew that something was up. Jarrett walked onto the rink holding a poster and flowers while the voice asked her to prom, she said yes!

Sophomore Will Stewart and Junior Casey Jones, March 19

Anyone who knows Casey knows her exceptional softball skills that have landed her a spot on the UNCW softball team, to which she has verbally committed. Of course, she used a home plate to ask Will (a baseball player) to prom. She knocked it out of the park with this promposal!

Juniors Cameron Cross and Renate Ma

One of the most popular restaurants among RMA students would have to be Chick-fil-A. How could Renate say no when Cameron brought her Chick-fil-A breakfast in homeroom to ask her to prom?

Seniors Christopher Rabil and Connor Daughtridge, March 21

Christopher went all out with his promposal (with the help and planning of Bridget Ward and Rob Turnage). He held a poster with a made-up Bible verse in which God “commanded” Connor to go to prom with him. Also, they raided the Drama costume closet to make a costume for Rob aka. Jesus. Of course Connor laughed and said yes to this creative and memorable promposal.

Seniors Will Pruden and Neha Baliga, March 27

While in Spanish class, the door opened and a group of seniors entered and began pelting Neha with dodgeballs (while videoing it of course). Neha was very confused as to what was happening until Will unrolled his poster asking her to prom! She forgave him for throwing dodgeballs at her and accepted his promposal.

Senior Hannah Strickland and Sophomore Chandler Gazaway, March 23

A simple and inexpensive way to ask a date to prom is over the phone! Hannah is a go getter and didn’t hesitate to ask the gentle giant, Chandler. He accepted her “textposal” and they are sure to have a blast together at prom.

Seniors Jared McCall and Lindy Pittman, March 29

As Maxwell Miller walked into Lindy’s Spanish classroom playing the classic Star Wars intro music, we all knew that something was up. Jared knows of Lindy’s love for Star Wars (so did our whole 11th grade English class when her Chewbacca ringtone went off in class) so he decided to ask her to prom using this theme. Not only did he have a clever poster, he even dressed the part. Of course Lindy said yes!

Junior Class and the Senior Class, March 22

Last but not least, the Junior class “invited” the Seniors to prom as a surprise during Upper School Break. Prom invitations are typically delivered in the mail but the juniors decided to do something extra special for the Class of 2017. They set up and decorated a table with an invitation and a cupcake for each Senior. This was such a thoughtful surprise that the Seniors will no doubt remember for a long while.