Youth and Government: RMA Students Argue Cases, Write Bills and Have Fun

RMA Youth and Government

The Rocky Mount Academy bus traveled to Raleigh for the Upper School Youth and Government state convention on February 9-12. Referred to as YAG, North Carolina YMCA Youth & Government’s goal is to promote leadership skills, character values and civic engagement in North Carolina’s teens. Their motto, “Democracy must be learned by every generation” is evidenced by their flagship programs: Youth Legislature (grades 9 – 12) and Middle School United Nations (grades 6 – 8). The North Carolina YMCA Youth Legislature has been the state’s premier youth leadership and civic development program since 1993. Students experience government first-hand and learn how to solve community problems through the democratic process. They debate and discuss issues with their peers. Youth Legislature teaches the values of democracy by bringing together around 1,000 North Carolina high school students for a four-day, three-night conference in downtown Raleigh.

At the conference, there are many different program areas that students are involved in. A participant in YAG can sign up/apply to be in Budget Analyst/Lobbyist, Court of Appeals, Freshman Forum, Governor’s Cabinet, Legislature (Senate and House), Media, or Officer. Rocky Mount Academy took 12 high school students to the conference. Anna Scott Wingfield and Suzanna Mosley were bill authors in the Senate where they presented their bill to be signed into law. They wrote the bill and turned it in before Christmas when it was reviewed and chosen to be placed in the bill book. Not all bills submitted are chosen to be debated at conference so it is an honor to have your bill selected. After a late night on Thursday preparing, they presented, answered questions and debated in the Senate Chamber on Friday and then did the same in the House on Saturday. After winning the house, they were assigned a time to present to the Governor’s Cabinet where the Youth Governor and a group of 8 other seniors decide if the bill should be signed. They passed and the first bill ever from Rocky Mount Academy was signed by the governor. Sophomores Ann Sumner Thorp and Caroline Gay also wrote a bill which passed through the House followed by the Senate. Senior Sharpe Newton has been involved in YAG for four years and was appointed as one of two Head Lobbyists. As a Head Lobbyist, he was in charge of the lobbyists who have the opportunity to persuade Senators and Representatives to pass or defeat legislation that serves your client’s interests. As a lobbyist, you discuss bills and influence the passage or failure in either the House of Representatives or the Senate. The remaining delegates from RMA are in Court of Appeals, also known as Judicial. Judicial participants served as Attorneys, writing briefs (written arguments) and make oral arguments before a court. Partners Briana Winham and Guy Deyton worked hard on their briefs and arguments and it paid off as they won three out of four.

Even though YAG may come across as serious and strictly business, I would argue that it is the perfect mix of education and enjoyment. Students are given the opportunity to speak up for what they believe in while working on their public speaking skills. Another great aspect of YAG are the evening activities, Friday Fun Night and The Governor’s Gala. This year at Friday Fun Night there was a speaker, Ken E. Nwadike, Jr., who is one of the nation’s top youth motivational speakers for high school assemblies and college programs. Best known for his viral videos on Facebook and Youtube, which have reached hundreds of millions of views, during Ken’s keynote speeches, he inspires students, educators, and business professionals to make a positive impact in their schools, workplace, and community. After the presentation by the speaker, students rushed to the dance floor, bouncy houses and photobooths. With a Space Jam theme, this night sure was out of this world! The Governor’s Gala on Saturday night is more formal and each school is assigned a nicely set table and served a three course meal. The entertainment for the evening was a magician, Haydini, who performed a set of magic tricks with music, audience participation and his lovely assistant. Following the delicious meal and magic, the dance floor opened for around an hour as YAG members celebrated the 25th Anniversary of NC Youth and Government.

Overall, Youth and Government was a great experience for the RMA students involved. Sophomore and first year YAG member Haven Ross stated, “I made so many new friends and strengthened friendships I already had. I learned so much about myself, confidence and law throughout the weekend.” Another first year YAG member Georgia Morris remarked, “It was one of the best weekends of my life. I gained new friends, a new confidence in myself, a bigger appreciation for what youth can do, and a new outlook on what I might want to do with my life.” With four seniors leaving, YAG will be looking for new members to join them in this awesome experience. Please consider joining next year, you will not regret it!