Senior Class Update

With May graduation just around the corner, many seniors can attest to the countless number of times they have been asked “Where are you going to college?” or “What are you going to major in?” All of the RMA seniors have been working on the college application process since their junior year, and are relieved to have that behind them. However, the hard part is occurring now after many have received acceptances to multiple universities between which they have to choose. Two of the most well-known colleges in our area, North Carolina State University and The University of North Carolina released their decisions in late January, affecting many RMA seniors. Both colleges are more and more difficult to get accepted into with the ever increasing number of applicants. Along with well-known in state colleges, out-of-states, ivy leagues, private in-states and all girls’ colleges were represented in the seniors applications and acceptances.

Between the 34 members of the Class of 2017 and with a lot of hard work, there were 139 applications sent to colleges. So far, there have been 87 acceptances and many schools still have not released their decisions. Highlights of the acceptances include two acceptances into the highly competitive Engineering school at NC State, an acceptance to Princeton, an ivy league school, and ECU Honors College acceptances! However, 15 seniors have already committed to the following schools: American University, Appalachian State University, Coastal Carolina University, East Carolina University, High Point University, Meredith College, NC State University, UNC-Chapel Hill and UNC-Charlotte. One tradition enjoyed by seniors is the college board in Mrs. Carolyn Patton’s room in which all students write their names and accepted colleges. Beside their names, the seniors write where they have been accepted in green marker and where they decide to attend in red. If you are ever curious, peek your head in the door to see guaranteed updates on college! Rocky Mount Academy will be represented well all across the state as a school who prepares its students for college and life in the real world.

Another important aspect of the college process is scholarship money. Many students are waiting to hear back from various scholarship programs before deciding where they will attend next year. Caitlyn Vester was a self-nominated Park Scholarship applicant who has advanced past the semi-final interview onto the finalist weekend where she will compete for a full tuition scholarship to North Carolina State University. Also, Rocky Mount Academy senior Lindy Pittman was a semi-finalist for the competitive Morehead-Cain Scholarship to UNC- Chapel Hill and Emily Cheston was a semi-finalist for the Park Scholarship to NC State. Class of 2017 member Sharpe Newton is a finalist for the General H. Hugh Shelton National Leadership Scholarship at NC State which includes $10,000 annual NC State tuition and fees, housing, etc. and annual enrichment funds up to $2,000 for student leadership enrichment experiences. He will have two personal interviews in mid-February to vie for this amazing opportunity. Lastly, three students were granted acceptance into the ECU Honors College giving them scholarship money and opening many doors academically. Athletically, senior Reid Johnston was recruited and signed to play baseball at NC State University where he will continue his baseball career while furthering his education at a first rate university. He was awarded a pitching scholarship and third basemen scholarship. In total, the Class of 2017 has already been awarded over $1.3 million dollars in scholarship money and that number is sure to increase as the year progresses.

After May 26th, the Class of 2017 will officially become alumni and move on to the next phase of their lives. There is no doubt that Rocky Mount Academy students continue to be successful in college endeavors because of the support of teachers, parents and especially College Counselor Mrs. Genie Andracchio. Be sure to congratulate the seniors and continue to support them in this exciting year!