Extra Effort Award- Julia High

Extra Effort Award- Julia High

Caitlyn Vester, Co-editor

Since its beginning in September of 1981, WRAL’s Extra Effort Award has been recognizing high school students across the state of North Carolina. Sports anchor Tom Suiter began giving out these awards to worthy high school students who excel in the classroom and community as well as in their chosen sport. Currently, a new student athlete is chosen each week to wear this prestigious title. Hundreds of awards have been given out on behalf of WRAL-TV. Although Tom Suiter is retired, his legacy lives on with the continuation of the Extra Effort Award.

Rocky Mount Academy is proud to announce that senior, Julia High, has been chosen by WRAL to be awarded this title. On Wednesday, September 14th, WRAL visited campus to interview Julia at school and on the tennis courts. They also captured footage of Julia in the classroom, walking the halls and lastly hitting tennis balls on the court. Interviews were also given to Julia’s coaches, teachers, and faculty members. Julia, who is a multisport athlete playing tennis, basketball, softball, and cheerleading, is also a very active member in her school and the community. Rocky Mount Academy couldn’t be any prouder to have such a wonderful student representing our student body.

Read the interview with Julia below to get to know how she feels about being receiving the Extra Effort Award.

1) What was the most exciting part about receiving this award?

Everyone I know that has received it before me are exceptional people and athletes and it’s exciting to be put in the same category as them.

2) Were you nervous about being interviewed?

Yes, very! I didn’t know what he was going to ask and the camera was really close to my face.

3) This award not only honors students who play sports, but also students who do a lot for their school and community. What is the most special community service/volunteer work that you participated in?

I really enjoy volunteering at Camp Hope. I’ve been volunteering there since 9th grade and I love the relationships I’ve built.

4) As a multisport athlete, what is your favorite sport that you play? And how long have you been playing it?

That’s always a tough question, but I would have to say tennis is my favorite I’ve been playing since I was 4. School tennis as well as tournament tennis have been a major part of my life for as long as I can remember.

Don’t forget to tune in to WRAL on Thursday to see Julia’s segment and congratulate her on her outstanding achievement! GO JULIA!