Varsity Fall Sports Update

Emily Cheston, Photographer

Though Rocky Mount Academy has just ended its second week of school, RMA’s athletic teams have been hard at work since before August 22nd. As this year’s fall season sports kick into high-gear, here is a look at what has been accomplished so far, and what success is sure to come!

Varsity Boys Football- Football season at RMA is always an exciting time. The entire student body is represented at their games, whether on the field or in the crowd cheering on the Eagles. Their first win of the season ended with a score of  50-18 and a record of 2-0.. With impressive margins between RMA’s scores and its opponents’ each week, the sky seems to be the limit. After losing several important seniors last year, seniors like Christopher Rabil, Paul King, Tyson Jones, and Josh Legaj will be leading the team this year. When asked about this season, Paul King said “This year we have some competition ahead of us; however, I am confident in our team. We are looking to win our next state championship title.” This year’s homecoming game against Southampton should be a great night to see the Eagles soar above the competition!

Varsity Girls Tennis- At the beginning of the season, the varsity girls’ tennis team was unsure about how this year would turn out after losing half of its top six seniors. With an impressive record so far, the future looks bright for this team. With senior Julia High (named last season’s All-Conference player of the year) as number one seed, the Eagles are led by a reliable and consistent competitor. Though there are a total of five seniors on this year’s team, young talents, like sophomores Haven Ross, Ann Sumner Thorp, and Caroline Gay, will surely keep this team on a strong path in the future.

Varsity Boys Soccer- Last year, this team performed exceptionally well and ended their season as the second ranked team in the conference. This year, the team is hopeful for success on par with that of the past. After losing several important and talented seniors, players like juniors Jacob Watkins, Guy Deyton, and Marcus Lerro will have to work with current seniors AJ Mitchell and Sharpe Newton in order to defend their stellar season of last year. While this team has a tough job ahead, they should find their strengths as the year rolls on.

Varsity Cross Country- This year’s strong team is hopeful to make this year even better than the last. The girls’ team was named Conference Runner-Up last year, and seniors Caitlyn Vester and Briana Winham want to leave this team on a high note. Vester, named Conference Runner of the Year last season, is sure to give it her all again this year just as she has done in the past. The team’s first meet took place at Kerr Vance Academy, a challenging course. Winham stated that “For many of the middle schoolers, it was their first meet, but they ran well despite the difficult terrain”. The girls team placed 3rd overall with Briana Winham placing 13th and Caitlyn Vester placing 14th (despite briefly passing out during the race). Both teams will be working hard towards an impressive showing at the Conference Championship in October.

Varsity Girls Volleyball- After coming off of an exciting win just last week, this team is energized for the possibilities of this exciting season. Bridget Ward said “I’ve been waiting for this day since last season! I’m beyond happy and excited that we won and I’m confident that my team will keep improving each week!” With Ward being the only senior, this young team will keep working to hold their own against other teams. With strong players like Tiffany Chandler, Ashley Wright, and Deborah Kitchin, this will be a team to watch in the years to come.

Varsity Girls Cheerleading- A major part of the support system for RMA football comes from the cheerleaders on the sidelines at each game. Made up of some of the most energetic people to walk Rocky Mount Academy halls, this group of high schoolers can be heard loud and clear every Friday night. Maxwell Miller stated, “Over the past four years, we have become such a strong team and we have a bond that cannot be broken”. The excitement that the cheerleaders get from supporting their peers feeds directly into the crowd of spectators, and the group certainly adds an aspect of school pride to each game.