Top 10 Things to Look Forward to This School Year

Emily Cheston, Photographer

As summer comes to a close, it can be difficult to get back into the routine of waking up to an alarm clock rather than coming out of a slumber by your own free will. Whether you traveled, landed a summer job, went to camp, or simply spent your time off with friends and family, now is the time for the RMA student body to regroup. Though the stress-free lifestyle that the summer provides is always a perfectly timed break, the school year also offers an exciting time to look forward to. Here are a few events to keep us all motivated throughout this upcoming year!

1. Powderpuff- This event is always a great way to celebrate the excitement of football season with a guaranteed laugh. The tradition of the showdown between the Freshman-Sophomore and Junior-Senior girls is always highlighted with good-natured competitiveness. Between commentary over the loud speaker and the sight of high school boys assuming the roles of cheerleaders (yes, in uniform), a hilarious night is sure to be in store.
  2. 100th day of school- This milestone signifies many exciting things for students. No matter what grade you are in, the idea of makings it that much closer to middle school, high school, or even college gives students a sense of satisfaction and excitement!
  3. Homecoming- The homecoming game and dance are always highlights of the year at RMA. This year, the moment that the homecoming queen is announced will take place on the football field rather than on the basketball court. The high school SGA organizes the homecoming dance every year and will surely put on a great event in the cafeteria for everyone to enjoy.
  4. Fall Festival- The fall festival has been an autumn staple for RMA for some time now. Face painting, a cake walk, a photo booth, hay rides, and a petting zoo have been some of the most memorable components of this annual get together. The senior class even creates a haunted house every year with the help of Mrs. Patton. This school-wide event is the perfect way to transition into the Halloween season.
  5. Spirit Week- Spirit Week has always filled students’ minds with fond memories from lower school to upper school. Pajama Day is always a nice excuse to put a little less effort into getting ready for school. Tacky Tourist Day and Decade Day tests just how committed students are to going all out in the name of school spirit. Be sure to participate this year, you might end up in a Media Office slideshow!
  6. Field Trips- Field Trips are an exciting time for students to grow even closer to their fellow grade members. This year, 6th grade will travel to Wilmington, NC and Southport, NC. 7th graders will visit the nation’s capital: Washington, DC, 8th graders will have an exciting time in Atlanta, GA, and 9th graders will travel to Monroe, NC for a ropes course and teambuilding. The senior trip will continue traditions with a long-awaited excursion to New York City.
  7. Buddy Events- Buddy events serve as a way for the RMA student body to interact with each other in order to build a strong sense of family. 6th-12th graders act as an example for younger students to look up to. Buddy events throughout the year include buddy lunches, the monster mash, Christmas celebrations and more.
  8. Long Weekends- Even though RMA is a student’s home away from home, half days and Mondays off are always a sweet reward after weeks of hard work. These extended sabbaticals offer a prime opportunity to visit the lake, the beach, or simply relax and enjoy some well-deserved time off. The four day week that follows this break is also a nice relief from the usual five day school week.
  9. Prom- Prom is a highly anticipated event put on by each year’s junior class. The hectic time surrounding this event is always worth the hard work on the night of the big reveal. The planning of prom truly highlights students’ creativity and resourcefulness and the endless smiles to be seen after their work is done shows just how appreciated their input is. An emerging tradition has also been a highlight of this exciting night: a live band. Throwbacks and live covers of current songs make this time something everyone can enjoy.
  10. Graduation- Every year, graduation is a great way for the RMA community to come together and celebrate the great students that it has produced. Seeing familiar faces walk across the iconic stage in the gym is a heartwarming experience for many, especially the teachers who have watched students grow from Pre-K to 12th grade. While this time is often melancholy and filled with tears, it signifies the beginning of an exciting new time for both graduating seniors and rising seniors excited for their last year of high school.