Introducing the 2016-2017 Media Office

Anna Scott Wingfield, Editor-in-chief

The Rocky Mount Academy Media Office is so excited to begin it’s third year as a student-managed program to inform the RMA community of events taking place around our school. Just as in the previous years, our staff will provide updates via social media, weekly articles on the Eagle Examiner, and a promotional video capturing RMA Student Life. The goal of Media Office is to take advantage of the technology available to students and use it to connect the Rocky Mount Academy community in a totally different way.

As before, Media Office will manage several social media accounts to promote different activities around school, ranging from sporting events to fundraisers. Through our Instagram and Twitter accounts, we seek to capture everyday life as a Rocky Mount Academy student and broadcast it to our community. As a result, students will be well informed about happenings and activities around our school such as sporting events, school-wide events, club meetings, fundraisers, etc. Also, last year the Media Office created and submitted the first Snapchat Geofilter to be published in the Rocky Mount area. This Geofilter that can be used on any part of campus was received with great excitement by students and guests alike!

Media Office will also continue to publish weekly articles on the Eagle Examiner. Each staff member of the Media Office will write news, sport, student life, and opinion pieces that will be published each Monday. The Eagle Examiner has been a huge success in the past two years having upwards of 2,000 views each week. This digital newspaper allows students, parents, and teachers alike to read about a topic as seen through the eyes of a Rocky Mount Academy student. Our annual promotional videos also give the community a glimpse of RMA through the student body’s perspective.

Two years ago, the promotional video captured the everyday life of a Rocky Mount Academy student and our core values as a school through academics, student life, and sports. Last year’s video produced by the Media Office zeroed in on RMA athletics and how it has built stronger students and a stronger community through sportsmanship, discipline, teamwork and school spirit. This year’s video on Student Life will be completely shot, edited, and produced by Media Office staff members. Just as last year, this video will be released at the conclusion of the school year, will be shown to prospective students and parents, and posted online.

The 2016-2017 Media Office staff consists of five seniors who have returned for their second year in the Media Office. Communications Chair, Emily Cheston, along with Social Media Chair, Julia High, will primarily run our social networking accounts and handle photography.  Editing, publishing, and managing the newspaper will be Co-editor, Caitlyn Vester. As Editor-in-Chief, Anna Scott Wingfield will edit and publish Eagle Examiner articles as well as oversee all Media Office activities. Rounding out our staff is Treasurer, Thomas Moore, who will handle the day to day management of the program and fundraisers. Next spring we will release applications for rising juniors who are interested in joining the Media Office Staff. Advised by Director of Admissions, Mrs. Gross, and Director of Development, Mrs. Bryant, the Media Office is looking forward to another year of linking the RMA community closer together through our program.

Get in touch with us! The Media Office staff meets daily during G block (2:30- 3:20) and can be reached at [email protected] for comments, article suggestions, or concerns. Follow us on Instagram (@rockymountacademy) and Twitter (@rmaeagles) for updates!